Welcome to the Robertsonian

If you're reading this, the likelihood is that you're one of my students.
This is the place to extend discussions and investigations of rhetoric begun in the classroom.

MR R

Saturday, September 6, 2008

"Oh, give me a home. . ."

I was singing that old song "Home On The Range" recently (don't ask!), and I was remembering that, when I was a little kid, I completely misunderstood the line "where seldom is heard/ a discouraging word". I though it meant "where 'seldom' is heard/ a discouraging word"--that is, that, on the range, the word "seldom" itself is understood to be a discouraging word (that things are meant to be done, and done often, not "seldom"), rather than that discouraging words are seldom heard. I was much older--high school, I think--when I finally understood what the song was saying. 
In retrospect, I think my confusion is understandable; if you consider the inflection/emphasis that the pauses place on the word seldom (sing it to yourself: "where sel'DOM is HEARD/ a dis'COUR'a'gin' WORD/"), I think the confusion, in the mind of a child, is understandable.
What stood out to me as I was considering this--what I found interesting rhetorically, I guess--is how important inflection and rhythm are to understanding.

MR R 

No comments: